Planning and Programming
The Planning and Programming Division supports the Climate Program Office and NOAA in meeting the responsibilities of NOAA's Climate Mission Goal [hyperlink to Climate Goal page], including inputs to the annual strategic planning and budget formulation processes and revisions to the NOAA strategic plan. The Division coordinates efforts within the Office of Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR) as well as across other NOAA line offices and NOAA Mission Goals. Key activities include:
- Lead NOAA's Strategy Execution and Evaluation (SEE) planning process for the Climate Goal to coordinate Climate Goal activities and to enhance NOAA's capabilities to guarantee effective delivery of needed products and services. Coordinate scientific, technical, and administrative staff in the formulation of comprehensive program plans for the SEE planning process.
- Contribute to the development of budget execution plans, such as annual operating plans and program execution plans. Track and report program progress and achievements through planning and program performance metrics and other evaluation methods.
- Synthesize scientific and policy documents into climate summary documents, strategic plans, and budget formulation documents and coordinate NOAA's climate research and development portfolio under the NOAA Research Council.
- Maintain and advance climate partnerships including working groups, teams, councils, or other groups within and external to NOAA to better coordinate activities, facilitate program integration, and enhance the effectiveness of NOAA in meeting the Climate Mission Goal. Contribute to regional coordination and regional product and information delivery.
- Analyze Administration, OMB, DOC, and NOAA directives and guidelines to determine Climate program impact, establish mission requirements and objectives, and inform decisions on policy matters, especially as part of the DOC and NOAA strategic planning processes. Provide policy, planning, and implementation support to the CPO Director and Deputy Director for CPO and Climate Goal activities.