On August 18th, Frank Niepold, CPO’s Senior Climate Education Program Manager and Coordinator, will serve as a federal panel member in a listening session hosted by the Department of Education on “Career Opportunities in the Green and Blue Economy.” In response to the Administration’s direction regarding climate action, the Department of Education is hosting a series of virtual climate listening sessions with the public that will support an exchange of ideas around opportunities for federal climate leadership within the Department’s statutory authority. These sessions will inform the agency’s Climate Adaptation Plan and subsequent implementation while exploring the connections between climate, the safe reopening of schools, and ongoing efforts to advance educational equity.
Each listening session will be focused on specific themes that reflect the breadth of the opportunities and challenges related to climate adaptation. The August 18th listening session will seek to answer several questions, such as:
- With the country on the cusp of transitioning to a clean economy, how do you think jobs will change in the next decade? What are the skills that students will need to be prepared for the future?
- How have you seen career and technical education programs help prepare students for the green and blue economy?
- Where is there opportunity to expand career and technical education programs to better meet the demands for jobs in the clean economy?
- How can we ensure communities of color and low-income rural and urban communities are centered in the transition to the clean economy?
- How can the Department of Education help support youth, schools, and communities in preparing for the transition to the green and blue economy?
Learn more »