The fifth National Climate Assessment (NCA5) development process is officially underway. A newly-released Federal Register Notice seeks public comment on the NCA5 Draft Prospectus, which describes the proposed overarching themes and framework for the report.
Public comments are also sought on:
- ways to make the assessment information accessible and useful to multiple audiences;
- specific types of detailed information at regional scales that would be most useful to NCA5 readers;
- how to best describe risks and impacts, as well as potential opportunities to reduce those risks and impacts;
- suggestions for new approaches to topics addressed in previous NCAs; and
- suggestions regarding overarching themes that NCA5 should consider addressing, which will lead to a draft chapter outline.
NOAA staff are encouraged to review the Notice and provide comments by August 10, 2020. The Notice was submitted by NOAA on behalf of the U.S. Global Change Research Program under the leadership of the Climate Program Office.