The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a Federal agency within the Department of Commerce, is advertising for a Supervisory Physical Scientist within its Climate Program Office.
This position is located in Silver Spring, Md. and is announced under vacancy numbers OAR-AA-2014-0011 and
The Supervisory Physical Scientist for the Climate Assessment and Services Division (CASD) provides leadership and support for research, assessments and climate services development activities designed to bring sound, interdisciplinary science to bear on climate-sensitive resource management and adaptation challenges in key sectors and regions.
Duties for this position include:
- Manage and supervise employees at Band ZP-5 and below and provide them with tools and other physical resources necessary to perform their duties.
- Promote effective integration with NOAA internal and external partners.
- Ensure lines of communication are open to promote effective teamwork in the accomplishments of objectives and customer-driven service.
- Identify and address employee competency and skill gaps through attentive supervision, mentoring, training, and developmental assignments.
- Develop program objectives and goals.
- Establish divisional priorities, execute programs, and monitor and report performance against objectives to help the CPO portfolio reflect and serve NOAA’s Climate Goal Priorities.
- Coordinate, develop and articulate priorities and policies responding to climate challenges, based on the assessment of current needs, broader NOAA and Climate Program missions, and international requirements, as appropriate.
- Provide advice and guidance or participate in the design and planning of activities, projects and alternatives that are clear, timely and consistent with established policies, objectives and regulations.
- Administer financial awards by developing Announcement of Opportunity, conducting proposal reviews, selecting proposals to be recommended for support, overseeing processing of awards and monitoring program performance.